Today I saw a colouring-in book in Poundland and the theme of the pictures was all about a hipster’s lifestyle. I have have heard of this term hipster quite a few times over the past couple of years. So, I thought I would draw together some key characteristics to identify a hipster.
I just thought I would start off with the definition of what a Hipster is: It is someone who follows the trends/fashion that is outside the cultural mainstream.
**Please note it is just a bit fun, nothing serious.**
1) Firstly, I think one of the main identifiable features of a hipster is their beard or mastache. I am not talking about the dirty biker type but you know the clean and groomed variety. The hipster beard/ mustache looks pristine and full of beard oil or mustache wax which is taken care of regularly. A lot of time and effort has gone into making the hipster beard look perfect.
2) The hipster hates anything associated with mainstream, they are on their own level and only enjoy the love of indie film and (that tend to have a small budget in making them) tend to be underground and unheard of.
3) To be a true hipster they don’t like any well named bands such as Beyoncé but go for the more unusal tastes. They love bands such as Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead or Archaide of Fire as their chose preference in music.
4) The hipster can be found hanging out with other fellow hipsters in artsy fartsy coffee shops and post their arty coffee on Instagram. Or unusual places that no other person has heard about.
5) The hipster normally travels by riding a bicycle as their chose preference to travel and look down on people who drive a car.
6) The hipster has a love for old technology and when the hipster is out walking outside they flash their old Walkman whilst listening to their indie music of course. They appreciate graffiti not as a nuisance but art so they are probably walking around looking for some thought-provoking pieces.
6) The hipster craves ‘vintage’ and they get all their clobber from flea markets or raided from their parents and grandparents wardrobe.
7) The hipster wears spectacles not because of poor vision but for a fashion statement.
8) The hipster tends to be a vegan and more than likely have a specific Instagram account for all their foodie pictures which happen to be taken from their old style camera such as a Fuji X.
9) A hipster is found to have on their YouTube channel videos full of live music.
10) The hipster wears a lumber jacket, skinny jeans and converse…you know what am talking about, this is a common uniform for a hipster.
11) For a hipster, a tattoo or earring is so very important to their image. The hipster tends to opt for triangles, arrows or some sort of quote on their arms. The earrings that the hipster are one in the nose and big bloody holes. if you’re going to be a hipster you need to make an impression!
Cheers for reading X