I be honest with you there have been times where I have eaten something simply just because I was bored. I eat my emotions regardless of what the occasion is. It is just so lovely to eat food and put in your mouth, not so good on the waist mind. Therefore, I have written some techniques that have helped combat boredom eating. It is amazing how taking a step back and exchanging your behaviour can really make a difference.
1) It is easy to instantly think that you are hungry because you are feeling light headed, I get muddled up sometimes between dehydration and hunger. I find if I am mindful of making sure that I have drank throughout the day it can also help with satisfying the hunger.
2) Instead of grabbing something to eat, distraction can help take your mind of thinking about food. It can be something as simple as organising a draw or painting your nails.
3) I always feel that it is better to sit down at the table whilst eating as it can help fill you up and less likely to cause indigestion.
4) Taking your time to chew your food can be really beneficial. It can trick your brain that there is more food then you have, making you feel more satisfied.
5) If you can play the waiting game, say 5-10 minutes make stop you in your tracks from immediately eating food to thinking whether you really need that piece of food.
6) Now and again it is ok to simply eat something. If you refuse something all the time it may make you desperately find that item a hell of a lot more attractive, moderation is key.
7) Try chewing gum or brushing your teeth before eating something as the smell of mint can be off putting and make you want to not eat something.
8) I have noticed that when I am super duper tired I eat more, so before you decide to tuck into something consider having a snooze to help cure them hunger needs.
Cheers for reading X