As a person who struggles to wind down it is always good to find ways to help me switch off. I am quite an anxious person naturally, so therefore, at times I can neglect myself especially when the anxiety is getting to me.
1) Turn off the technology, this will help you switch off from all the noise that is going on. It give you time to turn off the thoughts and help get your body naturally tired.
2) Don’t drink caffeine an hour before bed as caffeine is a known stimulate that will increase the changes of not wanting to go to bed.
3) Make sure you get the right temperature for bedroom to help you feel more comfortable and ready to settle down for the night.
4) Reading before bed is a fantastic way to help get you tired but also feel more relaxed.
5) Watch something that is calming and not thought provoking and not a programme that will make you think or cause an emotional reaction because you don’t want racing thoughts as it can prevent you from sleeping and more likely waste timing thinking where you could of been sleeping.
6) If you have anything thoughts that seem to be repeating and stopping you from getting sleep a good technique is to have a note book by your bed and writing down your thoughts. If there are written down then it is more easier to stay on top of them and they can then be deal with in the morning.
7) Having a bedtime routine can help settle you down ready for sleep and it also trains your brain so it gets used to knowing what is happening and what to expect.
8) Put some relaxing music and create a calming environment.
9) Have a bath – a great way to relax and soak the muscles after a long day.
What ways help you relax before bed?
Cheers for reading X