This week I took the plunge and immigrated over from Blogger to the wonderful WordPress. I can confirm it is the best decision I have made. I have been humming and arring for awhile now but not being massive techie person was scared incase it all goes tits up. I have written my reasons why if you haven’t you might want to come over to WordPress.
- There is freedom with WordPress over Blogger. Google owns blogger site and you will need a google email to sign up. Blogger does have the advantage of having Google+ as social media platform to promote your work. whereas WordPress gives you control and flexibility to chose in what you want to do. Blogger is a lot easier in terms of understanding but WordPress gives you choice of of design without being restricted. I suppose as more people opt for WordPress over Blogger then there are more people designing different themes which then entails more choice.
- Blogger is basic but it did help me when I first started when I had limited knowledge of web design or anything about how to set up a blog. But it is limited with lack of plugins and designs making it harder to give that personal touch. Though you do have Google ads if you want to make some money which is really simple to set up through Blogger.
- You don’t know how safe Google is as if someone reported some material of yours for plagiarism, Google has the right to put your website down. So ownership is an important factor when considering the platform you want. As it would heartbreaking if you lost your posts.
- It is really easy to transfer material over and domain name to WordPress so even if you started out on Blogger it is doable to swap over if you wish without hassle free complications.
- Since using WordPress I found it much easier to understand and set up my own design the way I want it rather then having the urgeto smash my face in (which I felt frequently when using Blogger). If I wanted to do alot of changes to Blogger I needed a PC which was not convenient for me especially as I found it so time consuming.
- Overal, I think Blogger is a simple platform and great for a starting point when starting out but it is restricted with ownership, design and control. WordPress is more complex with understanding but once you learn how to get around the site you can create a unique and personal design with being flexible and open to what ever you want. Not to mention the wealth of how to videos on YouTube making it easier to understand WordPress and giving you the confidence to experiment.
Cheers for reading X